.

D'OH

Posted by Call Me Amaesing | Posted in | Posted on 9:35 PM

I was doing my reading today for my ADV 450 class. (Yes, Peter gives us a lot to read). But anywho, this book, which was recently published, interviews many many many famous and well known Art Directors/Copywriters/Art Executives/Account Managers... etc. And talks about the do's and don'ts and how-to's of how to be a good creative. It helps you think of how to think outside the box, what to expect in the Creative field of advertising, and much much more. It's like a .. Advertising Bible for Creatives, if you must.

While on one of my last pages of my 70 page reading, I stumble across an interview with the Creative Manager and VP of Creative Rectuiter of Leo Burnett, Kara Taylor. A Creative Manager is a big deal, and usually only found in larger sized agencies. Her named sounded familiar, and near the bottom of the interview, I realized why her name resonated in my mind so much. I had met her last Spring Break. Face-to-face. It wasn't an interview per say, but more of a question-answer conversation jobber that I struck lucky because a friend's mom worked at Burnett in Chicago and pulled some strings for me to visit the company and talk to someone. But I didn't know who I was going to talk to. Even if I did, I did not know how important she was. She looked very young. Young, but professional; I will give her that. I thought I was talking to some junior art director or copyright, not some big shot like Creative Manager. Needless, my "foot-in-the-door" opportunity was more like a "wide open vault that no one usually can pass through" opportunity that I pretty much blew. What a BIG whoops.

In my defense, I was not even an advertising major at that point. I did not know what a Copyrighter/art director was. (Which of course, she was happy to explain to me the different branches of creatives). I don't know whether I should be embarrassed about my situation or rather brag about my encounter with this higher up Burnett employer (without much detail). Baha.



Leo Burnett building in Chicago. Sorry Kara.

Comments:

There are 1 comment for the "D'OH"

Post a Comment